Friday, October 23, 2009

Salzburg, Austria: day 2: Sound of Music tour

Becc and I decided to Splurge and go on a rather pricey tour around Salzburg of all the important spots from the film, The Sound of Music. Since this movie was a childhood favorite of both of ours we decided to shell out the dough for this tour. Another reason we went may have been because Becca had been singing the songs from the movie for the past few days and I was going crazy.

At any rate,
we find ourselves on a tour bus that is painted to fit the theme of
the musical with a rather flamboyant tour guide
who cracked cheesy jokes amongst his trivia facts.

The tour was great because we were given the opportunity
to see parts of the city that we would not have been able to otherwise because they were farther on the outskirts of town. We went to the lakes and mountains that were shown in the film; the scenery was gorgeous even though the fog was thick.

We got to see a few of the houses that were shown in the films, this one was the back of the Vontrap house. But interestingly, not the front of it.

The famous scene where Lessil dances in the gazebo with her boyfriend;
yep, we got to see the gazebo.

And even the road where there are the trees that the kids are climbing in the movie when their father comes home from a trip and finds them in "play clothes".

The fountain where the kids and Maria dance around

And the gardens where they sing the Doe a dear song.


As cheesy as it sounds, the tour was actually very enjoyable and we even learned a few fun facts about the city of Salzburg which I will not bore you with because I am far to tired and I need to get some rest before my trip to Paris tomorrow.

I don't believe I have mentioned this yet, but I wanted to add a thank you to everyone who is reading my blog. I don't know if it is interesting at all to
anyone but I have fun writing it and I love reading your comments and seeing what you think of the things that I am experiencing. It's nice to have some sort of a connection to all of you who I love who are far away. I miss you.




1 comment:

  1. Hey Meg,
    It is interesting that you liked hearing German so much. Maybe because English is a Germanic language and they are alot alike.
    Maybe you are homesick. :-)
    I wonder that you were so troubled by Serbia if you would be comfortable in India.
    I think the damaged buildings are from the war but I am not so good on my recent history either.
    Lindsey, Jenna and a friend Isobel came over last night. It was good to see her.
    Kisses
    Marmie

    ReplyDelete