Saturday, October 10, 2009

our first rainy day

Location: Switzerland. Lausanne and Zermatt.Switzerland was recommended to me by my father who apparently loved it and raved about how great it was. The first thing to note about Switzerland is that it is beautiful. Very green. Secondly, very expensive. However, we were only there for two days so no big deal.It was strange because we went from staying in Germany and getting used to the language to going to Lausanne where they speak french then back to Zermatt where they speak German! We were all kinds of turned around.

Lausanne was beautiful and our hostel was lovely. Becc and I ate pizza down the street and had a really good nights sleep in our hostel. Much better sleep than in Munich, but no surprise there.The next day in Lausanne Becc and I used our great map skills and trekked out in the rain to find the Museum De La Brute which was also recommended by my father. The Museum was amazing. Best choice ever. All of the art from the Museum was created by mentally ill or rebel types. Looking at the art was a strange experience. one of my favorite people in the art exhibit was a women by the name of Helga Goetze; this women was a feminist who would stand on the front steps of a university in Berlin wearing an outfit that she embroidered herself that said, "Ficken ist Frieden" which means "Fucking is Freedom".
We also went to the Notre Dame Cathedral. It was so wonderful and I felt so lovely just being inside of it. I am unable to describe the beauty here; however I can say that the feeling I get when being in a church so lovely and so full of God makes me feel so full of life and gives me this feeling that I want more of life. I guess that is sort of what this trip is about.
The second night in Switzerland was spent in a hostel in Zermatt. We get into Zermatt around 9 at night and it was dark. Also. There are no street names in this town, so our directions to the hostel are something like... "turn right at the church, then walk 200 meters and take a left after the bridge...." We made it there safely and went to bed after a lovely dinner of soup. The soup was a tomato cream soup with salmon in it. Amazing. The next morning we walk up in a small town with no cars except for a few electric taxis, and the Matterhorn right outside of our window. We get a pastry or two and then go on a little hike to see the view better. The town was lovely and magical.

2 comments:

  1. And you thought the Matterhorn was only in Disneyland :-) !

    What a new perspective on the world and on history you are getting and having fun too.

    I love your photos! I know I say that every time but it is true.

    Love and kisses, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother! dont tell people that I thought that!

    ReplyDelete