Saturday, October 10, 2009

Munich

Where to start.....
I guess I could start by stating that I am currently not in Munich and have not been for quite some time. Becca and I arrived in Munich on the 5th and stayed for only two nights. Munich was our first experience in staying in a hostel and I must say that it was quite fun for what it was. This is a photo of me with Becca and my lunch for our train ride. Pasta in a bag.
We get off the train only to be greeted by a boy who looks about 15 who is pointing directly at me and speaking in German. Becca and I can only assume that he was making fun of me. Becca believes that he was calling me a dumb, American prostitute.

The first night at our hostel we went out for some dinner and a beer then meet up with a few girls who were staying at the same hostel as we were. We chatted and had another beer. one of the girls we met had been traveling for a year! and has no intention of stopping anytime soon. Impressive. Hearing for her travels made Becca and my trip feel very small in comparison.The second day in Munich, Becc and I decided to go on a tour. The tour was three hours and we got to see a lot of amazing historical locations in the city. I felt rather silly learning about so much history that I didn't know existed. yay for public schools in the US. Anyway. Here are a few fun facts that we picked up.
1. There were so many pre-war photos taken of Munich that after WWII, even though most of the city was ruined, it was rebuilt almost exactly the same.
2. The catholic church actually helped the Jews by hiding some of their important religious documents during the war so that they could be preserved.
3. Hitler was rejected from art school due to the fact that the could not draw people. Ironic?
4. When we drink in Germany it is bad luck not to toast before drinking. Not toasting everyone by looking them in the eye and saying "prost", will apparently get you bad sex for 7 years. We toasted apropriatly each time.
5. This picture below is a memorial for people during the war who stood up to Hitler by walking down a back ally instead of walking on the regular street because there was a plaque in honor of Hitler and when you walked past it you were supposed to salute. Those who did not wish to would walk down the ally and eventually those people would be found and taken away. Now there are gold bricks in the ally way in honor of those brave individuals.
The second night, Becc and I went on a beer tour to all of the beer gardens in Munich. We decided to do this because we never made it to octoberfest. Long story, short. We didn't read the dates of the festival. However, we still preceded to drink good beer in the beer gardens and have a damn good time. However, after this night of drinking, Becc and I haven't really been up to drinking much.

2 comments:

  1. Meggie,

    How is your pack feeling? Are you getting in stride?
    Do you think your brought the right stuff?

    How come when I commented before it was hidden then this time it is posted? How do I do it just to you. I do not want to detract from your blog.

    Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. mama- I have no idea what you are talking about with this blog stuff. sorry. but I like comments on my blog. no worries. my pack is heavy but fixed the straps the other day which made it much, much better.
    love.

    ReplyDelete