Friday, October 2, 2009

getting lost in Germany is just as exciting as I thought it would be

Three hour train to Weirmar.
Then got on a local bus going in the wrong direction. The bus driver wasn't thrilled, dumb Americans, but he still helped us get on the bus going in the correct direction. While we were lost we did see a lot of lovely houses and buildings.
Then we arrived at our final destination at Buchenwald which is a concentration camp memorial. We walked around the concentration camp which was a lot larger than I thought it would be. The experience was so strange because although it is a piece of history that I have studied all through my school career it is something different to be there, standing on the same ground that the prisoners did not many years ago.
From the inside of the gate at the camp there were words written on the gate that said "to each their own". Seeing this quote on the gate that was written for all of the prisoners to see, gave me the chills as did much of the tour. It was a very different experience from anything that I have ever known.




No comments:

Post a Comment