Thursday, October 1, 2009

First full day in Germany




After a seven hour flight to Iceland and then a 3 hour flight to Germany, both with zero hours of sleeping involved, I arrived to see a the smiling and excited Becca Roy waiting to greet me at the airport. We quickly hopped a train a smaller town outside of Frankfurt, called Wiesbaden.

Of course after not having slept for over 24 hours, I was awake and ready to explore. However, the adventure didn't last too long, we went down town and saw some beautiful buildings and then got dinner. We had dinner at a lovely cafe where we ate sandwiches outside in the seating on the cobblestone and people watched.

One thing that I noticed first about the people here is that for the most part they are dressed a whole lot cuter than people from the US. I wonder why..... And. I hear that most places have better style than Germany so I guess it will only getting better and I will only get m
ore and more jealous of the people I see.

Earlier today we took the train to Koln, or in English, Cologne. The train took about three hours with one train transfer and had beautiful scenery along the Rhine Riv
er. We were planning on taking a boat back down the river on the way home but we got distracted and ran out of time. The boat trip was supposed to have views of castles but we saw some from the train anyway.

In Koln we first went to see the Koln Cathedral
which was built was a beautiful Gothic style church that can be traced back to the 13th century but apparently it took a few centuries to complete it. The detail of the structure was so unbelievable, I was in awe. But come to think of it, I have been stunned by all of the architecture here so far. I feel as though when I return home to what I am used to all of the building will seem so uninteresting comparatively.


1 comment:

  1. awesome pictures! i am do jealous of you and broy! take me too!

    ReplyDelete