Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Life as we know it

89 more days here in Mexico. Time is going by quickly. Lately I've mostly been posting pictures so I thought I would do a little written update about my life.

Let's see. I'll make a list. I like lists.

1. I have a new job.
2. I had lice. (had not have)
3. My dear friend Wesleigh came to visit.
4. I went to the beach.
5. I attended a total of 3 masses for Easter.

Side note. This list is in no specific order.

Most subjects listed do not need much explanation but others I think might.

The first. Yes, I am now no longer working in the English program at the high school which is very bittersweet for me. On one hand, I am sad to not see my kids twice a week in their classrooms. Getting to know them in a different setting has been very rewarding and I will miss my teacher friends who I have greatly enjoyed working with. On the other hand, I am thrilled to not have to get up 2 hours earlier than the days when I got to the office. The other part of my job was working in projects which is like fundraising, sort of. I will do my best to continue helping if I can but as of now, my job is the young women's empowerment coordinator. This means that I plan weekly group meetings for my girls and activities on the weekends. I am a girls girl, so this job is pretty great for me. I'm loving it so far. I am even trying to get funding to take my girls to the Museum of Tolerance in Mexico City in June! This job is proving to be not only enjoyable but challenging as well. I am doing more writing in Spanish than before, which basically means that I am now writing in Spanish and I've never done that before. Even though at times stressful, using this much Spanish is extremely helpful and I can see myself improving day by day.

Second. Lice. Not much to be said there. With so many children in the home it is hard to avoid getting it, especially when we spend time with the younger kids. Here at the high school we don't really have a problem with lice but the smaller girls do. When we spend extended periods of time with the younger kids like we did during Easter, I normally have my head checked just in case. Up until recently I had always been good to go. I worked hard to get ride of it and I think it's gone now.

3. Wesleigh is a friend of mine from Bellingham and also the person who I heard about NPH from. She came 6 months before I, so we only overlapped for 6 months. Wes came back to visit for a week last Wednesday and I was lucky enough to witness the reunion of her and her girls which was completely beautiful. They ran up the inclined pathway toward her with signs saying "Welcome Wesligh" and smothered her with hugs.

Cuatro. A little over a week go I took a weekend trip with a few other volunteers to a beach near Acapulco. I stayed in a bungalow, read books, swam in the pool and ran on the beach. It was a much needed vacation.

And last but not least. Easter in Mexico means fireworks and mass. In our house we hid Easter eggs and ate some chocolate but I have no idea if this is common in the rest of Mexico or just in our home.

This is a little picture of what has been happening in my life as of late.
Pictures to come.




2 comments:

  1. you're probably the best at your new job! easter and fireworks sounds amazing also.

    ReplyDelete