Saturday, October 22, 2011

Learning



Today I had an hour long Spanish class with some teachers at the high school. What was the lesson today? Swear words. The whole experience was odd to say the least. Discussing swear words in two different languages with my co-workers whom I greatly respect. This might seem strange to you, even inappropriate. But there was a purpose. I swear there was.  Many of the kids here swear and say disrespectful things and generally I can figure out when they are being rude to me but not always. So the teachers at the school thought it would be helpful for me to know when they kids are using bad words with me. I found the topic of this lesson to be quite thoughtful. 
And my education continues….







Chicas ponderosas seems to be really taking off. This week our group began working on a video. Our video will be primarily about self-esteem and growing to love and accept ourselves. Each girl made a sign, on which they write one thing that they like about themselves. Or perhaps something that they don’t like but that they want to accept. For example, my sign says “me encantan mis ojos pequenos” This means, that I love my little eyes. This was important for me because I have always been self conscious about how small my eyes are. Especially when I smile. Sometimes they even appear to be closed. Everyone’s sign is different.
“I like my personality because I am a little bit crazy.”
“I like my smile”
“I have a beautiful heart”
Those are a few examples.
 This project has been really special to work on with the kids because some of them clearly have difficulty coming up with an example. It's really rewarding to see the growth in them. 





1 comment: