Monday, December 7, 2009

Life back in th Northwest

As I was flying home from Germany back to Washington I became aware of just how much I would miss my adventurous lifestyle that I had adopted over the last few months. As I listened to Sigur Ros and looked out my window only to see Germany getting smaller and smaller below me I began to cry. When I landed in Iceland I honestly considered just not getting on my next flight and staying there for a while. That day I was filled with sadness as well as hope that someday I would go on another adventure that would be as fulfilling as this one has been.

Once I got to the states I was fortunate enough to see my dear friend Becca right away. I had missed her terribly and it made my heart happy to see her. However, when I saw her I had this feeling that we might be about to embark on some sort of travel again, but I was sadly mistaken.

I am back to real life.
Real life with all of its comforts and disappointments.
Real life with a job and warm friendly faces.
Real life with my own cozy bed and no excitement regarding where I will be sleeping.
Real life with delicious breakfast food but pretty lame pastries.
Real life with more clothing options and constantly feeling overdressed.
Real life with the holiday season and a lack of money.

As much as I am happy to be home so that I can see my family and friends but the culture shock is really not wearing off. I've been back for a week already and I just wish I was still roaming around living out of my bag wearing the same hobo-chic clothes day after day. I suppose I need to learn how to appreciate where I am instead of wishing I was somewhere else.

I'll work on that.

2 comments:

  1. now that you are back, i would very much like to see your cute face. adventure or no adventure, you're still interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl, you know i love being hobo-chic with you always

    ReplyDelete