Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Paris, yet again

We did a bit of sight seeing in Paris during our stay this past weekend and our first stop was a famous cemetery, the name is escaping me at the moment. But, many famous people are buried there, like Simone de Beauvoir and Jean Paul Sartre. The tombstones were amazing and many of them from so long ago. It was strange to be in such a historical place.

Second we went to Luxemburg gardens.We sat in the sun on the lounge chairs and took fun photos in the gardens and by the fountains.

We went out to lunch which was far too expensive but it’s hard to avoid that in Paris.

Becca and I ventured out on our own to Versailles, the famous palace where Marie Antoinette lived as well as Louis the IV. Sadly, we got to the grounds at 17:00 which is when it closes, so we didn’t get to go inside but we saw the outside of the palace that was fenced in by a gold gate. From what we could see I’m sure it was amazing. Perhaps I will go back someday and see what I missed.

Going back to the cemetery that we visited here in Paris, I would just like to say a few words about my old friend Ben. Ben was an old family friend of mine who I have known since I was a child, and he was tragically killed a little over a week ago. I go this news the day before I visited this cemetery so as you can imagine it was quite emotional for me to be in such a location after learning of such awful news. As cliché as this might sound, I began thinking a lot that day of the people in our lives who we impact and get to know. I guess I just thought about how Ben and I were best friends when we were children but grew apart, as we were older. I hadn’t talked to him in years I think, but it doesn’t change the fact that he had a huge effect on my life. I remember wanting to be just like him when I was little, and I think he wanted to be a little like me too. I feel like I am rambling, but I guess that’s what happens when you have so many feelings running around inside and you don’t have the words to express them. I guess what I wanted to say was that, as shitty as this world is at times, we can all make an impact on the lives of others as they do in ours and hopefully it is a positive one.


1 comment:

  1. i miss you so very much. you inspire me. and i love you.

    ReplyDelete