Monday, November 30, 2009

Dresden


On my way from Berlin to Prague I was fortunate enough to stop into the city of Dresden for a few hours.
Only being in this city for a few short hours really wasn't enough to learn very much or
to see everything that I wanted to see;
but I was thankful to see what I could of this amazing city.

Although I do not know much about the history of this city, I do know that in 1945 it was bombed and it is estimated that up to 50,000 civilians were killed due to these bombs that were dropped on during the night.
The bombs caused the largest fire in Europe's history and the beautiful city was completely destroyed.
Everything was eventually rebuilt exactly as it was.

Walking around this city was an extremely strange feeling,
it was very similar to the way I felt at the concentration camp earlier on my trip. Being present in a place where so many innocent lives were lost is one of the most intense feelings that I can ever recall feeling and I couldn't help but notice the music of Sigur Ros playing in my head as I explored the town of Dresden.

2 comments:

  1. oh man, i am so jealous that you were able to visit dresden. its on my to do list. jealousss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigur ros is always good. I like the decadence of the building designs. Looks like (yet another) interesting city

    ReplyDelete