Friday, September 25, 2009

defining things

Wikipedia defines the term vagabond as an itinerant person, or a person who travels from place to place with no fixed home. Synonyms for vagabond include tramps, rogues and hobos.

When I was thinking of how to describe my blog and how to best explain what it is that I will be attempting to share with you, I thought of the word vagabond. Then I did some research on the word and found my online searching transforming into what I feel is a decent description of my jumbled thoughts on my life as it stands currently.

I started with the word vagabond and found a few synonyms so I took those and ran with them. Now, rogue is a word that may be used to describe an independently-minded person; one who rejects conventional rules of conduct in favor of following personal values. As much as I would love to claim that I could fall under this category, I would hardly call backpacking around Europe for two months to be an accurate example of this definition.

And the word hobo just seems so unromantic and lacks a sense of class and sophistication that I hoped my blog would portray.

I realize that out of the three synonyms I chose to discuss, the only one left is tramp. I am sure that for most people when they read this word they think of someone, most likely a female, who is somewhat promiscuous. It was interesting for me to learn that the word has more to do with an individual who is a wanderer and a nomad.

Because this word "tramp" seems to be controversial I decided to include it in the name of my blog. I mean who says some of the things I might write about won't be controversial anyway?






































No comments:

Post a Comment